A RANSOMWARE virus is said to be rapidly spreading across the globe, affecting at least 57,000 computers.
Spain’s telecommunications giant Telefonica and the UK’s National Health Service are among those affected.
The virus infects computer files and blocks them until moneys are paid.
More than 74 countries are reported to be affected, with that number expected to grow.
The UK and Spain are among the first nations to officially recognise the attack.
Brit PM Theresa May has said the attack on UK hospitals is part of a wider international attack.
The virus blocks files from being accessed before dropping a ransom note to users, demanding that $300 be paid in bitcoins to unlock them, within a certain time frame.
As more time passes, the price demanded increases.
If the money is not paid, the virus promises to delete the files.
The NHS is said to be in chaos as IT systems have broken down while emergency patients are being diverted to other areas.
Scheduled appointments had to be cancelled, ambulances were diverted while some departments shut down completely.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03