THE Balearic government’s vice president has questioned whether the increase in tourist accommodation is pushing up Mallorca rental costs.
Biel Barcelo queried a recent report by Spanish academics José Luis Groizard and William Nilsson which blamed property price hikes on increased tourist numbers.
Socialist Mes per Mallorca deputy Barcelo was responding to PP deputy Alvaro Gijon, who blamed the government’s ‘restrictive legislation’ for ‘impeding the end of the Balearics’ economic woes’
“It’s an study with some interesting points, but some of its conclusions are debatable and have been questioned by other reports,” said Barcelo in parliament.
Barcelo contrasted the report with another recent study, which linked evictions in Palma to the rise in tourist numbers.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00