A MAJOR golf tournament will swing into action this month.
A total of 156 players will descend on La Cala Golf in Mijas from May 18 to 21 to take part in the illustrious Costa del Sol Match Play 9.
The most important Seniors contest in the PGA European Challenge Tour, it will take place on the resort’s demanding 5,925-metre Campo Asia golf course.
Players, who will also come from golf’s Real Federación Andaluza and Real Federación Española, will first test their luck over 36 holes of stroke play.
This will be followed by a nine-hole match play for the 32 best-ranking golfers.
The winner will walk away with a €200,000 prize, while the best ranking will accumulate points for the Road to Omán, the Challenge Tour’s season-long rankings contest.
La Cala Golf was visited by almost 90,000 golfers last year, who took advantage of its three courses.
The Costa del Sol’s next big Challenge Tour meet will take place in October with the Andalucía Valderrama Masters at Sotogrande’s renowned Valderrama golf club.
- Velez-Malaga Town Hall receives more than 180 tax claims - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 19:32
- Protesters march over Malaga mosquito problem - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 15:45
- Local pupils reenact victory over Britain - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 12:15
- Film about ancient treasure to be filmed in Rincon de la Victoria - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 17:40
- Geothermal deposit found in Almeria - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 15:58
- Estepona to host Circus festival - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 14:43
- Towns to unite to promote tourism - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 19:36
- Axarquia to host mental health conference - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 18:29
- Culture top reason tourists visit Andalucia - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 14:20
- Alleged axe attack in Axarquia - 14 Jun, 2017 @ 19:02