AN arsonist has been arrested for attempting to burn a religious statue with a molotov cocktail.
The 44-year-old threw the homemade device at the statue at the Convent of San Francisco in Velez-Malaga.
The Torre del Mar resident was arrested for crimes against freedom of conscience.
A glass bottle was found with petrol inside, and although the molotov cocktail did not ignite, it caused damage to the plinth of the Virgin de los Desamparados statue.
Police are investigating the motive behind the attack.
- Velez-Malaga Town Hall receives more than 180 tax claims - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 19:32
- Protesters march over Malaga mosquito problem - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 15:45
- Local pupils reenact victory over Britain - 19 Jun, 2017 @ 12:15
- Film about ancient treasure to be filmed in Rincon de la Victoria - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 17:40
- Geothermal deposit found in Almeria - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 15:58
- Estepona to host Circus festival - 16 Jun, 2017 @ 14:43
- Towns to unite to promote tourism - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 19:36
- Axarquia to host mental health conference - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 18:29
- Culture top reason tourists visit Andalucia - 15 Jun, 2017 @ 14:20
- Alleged axe attack in Axarquia - 14 Jun, 2017 @ 19:02