The fraud, which involved investing in storage units, is believed to have claimed thousands of victims in Spain and the UK.
The UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is probing how up to €140 million could have been invested into various schemes including Capita Oak Pension, the Henley Retirement Benefit, the Westminster Pension Scheme and Trafalgar Multi Asset Fund.
The fraud is linked to pension funds and is often aimed at expat investors in Europe.
The SFO said it will look into whether investors, including pensioners, were tricked into putting money into the ‘self-storage’ investments.
The SFO has urged anyone who invested in the funds between 2011 and 2017 to get in touch.
Promoters of the scams persuaded clients to buy a long lease on a storage unit – containers that are used to store belongings – and rent it out in the hope of making a good return.
This rarely happened.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15