MORE than 100 SAS-trained security guards have been sent to Spain to protect tourists from ISIS terror attacks, it has been reported.
Tour operators have hired the ex-Special Forces troops to guard tourist hotspots after threats to mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands according to the Mail on Sunday.
It follows last week’s Manchester Arena massacre, which killed 22 people.
UK security has received intelligence that tourists could be targeted by Islamic State terrorists, a source told the Mail on Sunday.
“Spain has been singled out as a target by the jihadists, it is wide open to an attack now that security in the UK has been tightened,” the source told the Mail on Sunday.
“The ex-troops will be looking out for any suspicious activity which might indicate that terrorists are planning an attack.”
The undercover guards are reported to be watching beaches and hotels.
This year, ex-Metropolitan Police anti-terror chief David Videcette warned an attack on tourists in Spain was ‘very possible’.