A GROUP of Catholics in Granada have been left outraged by a Muslim prayer gathering at the site of a Virgin Mary statue.
The gathering, sanctioned by the town hall and welcomed by mayor Francisco Cuenca, saw dozens of Muslims praying in the Jardines del Triunfo park before breaking their daily Ramadan fast.
But several politicians Tweeted their outrage, saying that allowing muslims to pray near the cherished Virgin Mary was a ‘provocation’.
Granada MP Luis Salvador said: “Mr. Paco Cuenca confuses tolerance and religious respect with provocation. Call for Muslim Prayers at the Virgin of Triumph??”
Fellow politician Manuel Olivares, said it was ‘regrettable’, ‘incromprehensible’ and ‘disrespectful’.
The far-right VOX party has called for an ‘act of reparation’ to take place in the park this evening, during which Catholics will recite the rosary.
The party said the event is for ‘those who show their faith and defending the customs, values, and culture inherited from our parents.’
It added: “And to protest against the council of this municipality who, by action or omission, have given permission and consent to a symbolic public space being taken over by the Muslim community.”
The PSOE councilor in Granada, Jemi Sanchez, has come out in defence of the Muslim community.
“Multiculturalism can never be a threat, it is an added value,” she wrote on Facebook.
“For the first time, the City of Granada supports its Muslim community wishing them a happy Ramadan in the gardens of Triumph.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16