The Conservative heavyweight has advised May to ‘consult more widely’ with other parties, saying there will be ‘pressure for a softer Brexit.’
Former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke backed Cameron’s remarks, saying new trade barriers ‘between us and our most important market in the world’ should be avoided at all costs.
It comes as current Chancellor Philip Hammond is reportedly leading a Cabinet push for May to abandon plans to pull out of the EU’s customs union.
Leaving the customs union would impose tariffs on British exporters, plus the huge red tape of filling in forms and putting goods through customs checks.
Former Tory PM John Major said yesterday that May’s stance was ‘unsustainable’.
“A hard Brexit was not endorsed by the electorate,” he said.
Theresa May has to date ignored the calls, forging ahead, at least publicly, with her hard Brexit strategy.
Meanwhile, an announcement on her much-needed pact with the DUP has been delayed yet again following a devastating fire in an apartment block in West London which has left at least six dead.
Speaking in Paris yesterday, alongside French president Emmanuel Macron, she claimed: “The timetable for the Brexit negotiations remains on course and will begin next week.”
Cameron’s remarks came during a conference in Poland, where he warned the dramatic election results have made May’s approach ‘difficult’.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15