SPAIN-UK trade relations are only improving since last year’s Brexit referendum.
Despite the pound’s depreciation, Spanish exports to the UK reached a record high of €19 billion in 2016.
Meanwhile, a staggering one in four Brits came to Spain for their holidays, making them the largest contributor to the €77 billion the country made from its tourism industry.
While Santander’s UK business saw net profit fall by 14.7% due to the weaker pound, like most other multinationals, it has not signalled that it will decrease their investments into the country.
The UK is still the number two destination for Spanish foreign investment, with Spain multinationals holding a €60 billion stock of investments in the country.
Iberdrola chairman Ignacio Sánchez Galán has assured the company will continue to invest in Scottish Power and in the numerous projects underway in the UK.
Ana Botin, who headed up Santander’s business in the UK (23% of total group net profit) before taking over from her father, stated she remains ‘as committed as always’ to this market.
The same goes for Sabadell chairman Josep Oliu.
He repeated his colleagues message: “A risk in the short term, yes, but the trend will be positive in the medium and long-term.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16