A BRITISH expat is being investigated after sparking the evacuation of a Spanish shopping mall by leaving a suitcase in its toilets.
The unnamed 43-year-old has been told by cops he could face a public order charge over the scare at the Atlantico Shopping Centre in Gran Canaria on Sunday.
More than 2,000 people were ordered to leave the centre by police just after 6.30pm after security guards were tipped off about the suspicious package.
Bomb disposal experts were called in to assess the suitcase, but they soon found it only contained food and not explosives.
The shopping centre, a 15-minute drive from the popular tourist resorts of Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles, was reopened around 8pm.
The reason he left the case in a first-floor toilet is not known.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22