Malquerida, a dark red brew, is designed to compliment Latino cuisine.
It comes as dishes from Mexico, Peru and Brazil are trending globally, but particularly in Spain.
“In Spanish restaurants and bars, more ceviche is typically eaten than tripe,” says Ferran Adrià, who added that the growth of Latino food is now ‘unstoppable’.
Albert, the younger of the Adria brothers, has established their gastronomic project elBarri in the Barcelona neighborhood of Paral·lel, an area where he has set up a number of restaurants already: the world-famous Tickets, vermouth bar Bodega 1900 and the cutting-edge Engima, along with Mexican restaurant Hoja Santa, taco bar Niño Viejo and the Japanese-Peruvian fusion eatery Pakta – and Malquerida will be served at all of them.
Meaning ‘unloved’, the name comes from one of the best-known works in Spanish theatre by Jacinto Benavente.
The strategy is to raise awareness of the tipple through restaurants before distributing it for general consumption at no more than €3 a bottle.
The Adria brothers have been planning to launch a beer for many years, but it was only in 2016 that they had the time to begin their experiment.
“It’s going to be difficult not to love it,” says Albert, describing Malquerida as perfect not only for spicy food and mixed flavors, but also Spanish favorites such as boquerones and mussels.
“This beer cleanses fat and contributes acidity,” he says.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16