Toñi Ledesma was ordered to change the name of the Malaga town Villafranco del Guadalhorce in 2015.
It came after legislation called for three municipalities with Franco connotations to alter their titles.
The other two, Bembezar del Cuadillo in Cordoba and Queipo de Llano in Sevilla, both obliged.
Lawyer Eduardo Ranz said the small town is ‘the last place in Andalucia that refers to Francisco Franco and his dictatorship.’
Mayor Ledesma argued the town hall has received no complaints, before adding that she would never alter its name without consulting residents.
President of the Malaga Association of Historic Memory Jose Sanchez denounced the council for their lack of action.
“Imagine if we had a village called ‘Villa de Hitler’ or ‘Villa de Mussolini’, we would all like to change that,” he complained.
- BREAKING: Body of little Julen found in Malaga well - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 13:24
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50