A POLICE officer has been knifed on the Spain-Morocco border.
According to Associated Foreign Press, a police source said the officer was attacked by a man shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’.
The attack occurred at the border between the Spanish enclave of Melilla and Morocco, in north Africa.
Police said the knifeman charged at a group of officers manning the border zone between Melilla and the Moroccan city of Beni Ansar.
He is believed to have shouted slogans as he ran at the group, slightly injuring one officer who managed to restrain him.
Police have said they are not considering the attack, which occured at 7.45am today, as terror related.
They said the incident was carried out by a ‘disturbed person’ who tried to use the knife on himself before attacking police.
Spain’s interior minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said: “The police have arrested a man who attacked with a knife the agents in the border crossing of Beni Enzar, one of them slightly wounded.”
The police officer received a hand injury during the attack.
Police have arrested a suspect, a Moroccan man.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15