POLICIA Nacional have arrested two people for animal abuse after rescuing four malnourished and dehydrated horses in Velez-Malaga.
A 40-year-old man and neighbour of the Axarquia locality were cuffed on suspicion of continued animal abuse.
Following a tip-off from a local resident, an inspection carried out at the finca also revealed a corpse of a young mule, about one year old, with signs of having suffered prolonged abuse and neglect.
Veterinary reports verified the unhealthy conditions in which all five horses lived on the land, located in the Zamorana estate.
One of the horses was found outside its stable and tied by the neck with a rope to a thick chain without water or food, other than some tomatoes scattered on the ground.
Another was found in a stable without water or food and with symptoms of being left alone for months.
The owner was arrested for animal abuse, lack of nutrition and veterinary care of animals, as well as the omission of legal duties.
The horses are being brought back to health by specialist vets in Fuente de Piedra.
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36