A SUSPECT in the Lisa Brown case has been found adrift in the Atlantic.
71-year-old Ron Beasley, from Wales, was found drifting 200 miles off the coast of Portugal.
The sailor, who has a wooden leg, was said to be so disoriented he was unable to recall his name when an Italian catamaran crew came across his shipwrecked yacht, the Doolou.
His ship was drifting without electricity or engine power in a busy shipping path and was at risk of being mowed down by a freighter.
Beasley told his rescuers that he was on the run from gangsters. When they asked him if he required assistance, he said: “No radio, no engine, no electricity.”
It comes just weeks after the Olive Press exclusively revealed Beasley was ‘hiding from criminal gangs’ in a port in Portugal.
Beasley, who was friends with Brown and her now-suspect boyfriend Simon Corner, told the Olive Press how he had absconded from bail after being arrested for withholding information in the case.
Brown was due to start a new job in Gibraltar when she went missing in November 2015, but Beasley said he knew nothing of her disappearance.
Speaking on a mobile from his boat in Portugal, he added: “The last time I saw Lisa was on November 1, (three days before she vanished), when I asked her if she had got some antiques I had delivered to her home, and that’s all I know.
“If I knew where Lisa was, I would have told the police.”
He is now involved in a legal tussle with Spanish police to have his passport returned.
The Swansea-born expat, who needs heart medication, claims he was forced to leave La Linea by local criminal groups.
He says they believe he could be a police informant after being docked close to people who work in the drugs trade and illegal dealings in Alcaidesa port.
“I’m just a guy on a boat trying to enjoy the easy life, I mind my own business.
“But they came to me and gave me 24 hours to leave or they said they would slit my throat.
“They think I’m a grass, if I go back to Spain I’m a dead man.”
He claims he has been pleading with the British Embassy for help, but that they had not returned Beasley’s calls at time of press.
Lisa’s sister said she could not comment directly about his involvement.
Helen Jordan, 50, said: “We just want him to tell the truth and maybe the authorities will then help him.”
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23