BRITISH holidaymakers have helped Spain smash its record for international tourist arrivals.
It comes after the National Statistics Institute (INE) revealed the number of visitors in July soared by 10.1% on last year.
Spain hosted more than 10.5 million foreign tourists in the seventh month of the year, adding to expectations that 2017 arrival numbers will reach new heights.
From January to July, the number of visitors rose 11.3% on last year to 46.9 million.
Research carried out by Caixabank predicts a total of 83 million international tourists by the end of 2017.
Catalonia was the most visited region in July.
Hotel groups and government ministers have so far dismissed concerns that the attacks in Barcelona could affect figures, saying cancellations since have been isolated.
According to a survey by ITB World Travel, two thirds of international travellers only go to destinations they perceive as safe.
Tourism has accounted for around 11% of economic output during Spain’s economic recovery since the devastating 2008 crash.
It’s an essential industry for the country, employing 13% of the population.
British tourists remained the largest group of visitors, accounting for 22.1% of the total, despite Brexit and the plummetting pound against the euro.
“There is no noticeable impact of Brexit on our future bookings, which remain positive,” a spokesman for Thomas Cook said. “The annual sun and beach holiday is resilient.”
More than 2.3 million Brits travelled to Spain in July, up 7% from 2016.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15