THIS summer every tourist town saw a boost of rental bicycles, many of which came in new shapes and sizes, and many of which were unwanted.
The Segway has been growing in popularity over the last few years; even Calvia police officers ride around on them.
This year the electric chopper bike is on everybody’s to do list. The low and long-style bike resembles a child’s version of a Harley Davidson.
Locals across the island have been complaining of noise and overcrowding this season. Many paths aren’t wide enough for mobs of teenagers that think they look cool.
There are rarely instructions given on local road etiquette before visitors fly off down the road with their rentals. “It’s the overuse of the horns I find irritating!” Stratford upon Avon expat Luke Simkin told the Olive Press.
Calvia has officially banned the E-Bikes and Segways, except for police use, as they are endangering pedestrians along with those on the bikes.
Mayor Alfonso Rodríguez Badal has stressed their danger, not only on the path but the road as well.
Cort, the Palma Counsel, is also in the process of banning electric vehicles.
Except for necessities like wheelchairs, come October Segways and electric bikes of all kinds, including skates and hoverboards will be banned from everywhere except cycle paths and 30 zones.
Many more rules will come into play including age limits and helmet requirements.
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42
- Mallorca has a historic number of employees working on the island - 11 Jul, 2018 @ 12:15