THE owner of Marbella Football Club has been arrested in an anti-mafia raid.
Alexander Grinberg, was cuffed alongside six others in a high-level dawn raid of the football club this morning.
The multi-millionaire businessman is being probed for alleged money laundering and being a member of a criminal organisation.
Authorities believe he has ties to Russian mafia.
The head of Mijas Water (Agua de Mijas), was also arrested in the raid, confirmed sources.
He is described as being one of Grinberg’s top associates.
Local sources also confirmed one of those arrested is Arnold Taam, who was picked up at the house of Grinberg – which was also raided – in the Bahia de Marbella urbanisation.
One local told the Olive Press: “This was a raid coordinated between the Mijas and Marbella Guardia Civil.
“There were helicopters and dozens of police vehicles involved and the streets were shut off, it was quite something.”
The Olive Press met Grinberg at the football club last year to discuss his plans for the team.
Police say a ‘large amount of material’ has been seized for what is now an ongoing investigation.
Dozens are expected to be arrested in the operation.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- BREAKING: Body of little Julen ‘found in Malaga well’ - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 13:24
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00