MORE than 57 million tourists visited Spain up until August this year.
The figure is a 9.9% increase on the same period last year.
According to the National Institute of Statistics, 10.4 million foreign tourists came to the country in August alone, up 4% on 2016.
And Brexit hasn’t put off the Brits, with 13.2 million visiting between January and August, a rise of 7.8% on the same period last year.
The UK was followed by France, with about 8.4 million international tourists, an increase of 1.8%, and Germany, which grew by 7.2%, to 8.2 million visitors.
Catalunya was the most visited region in August, receiving 2.6 million visitors and accounting for 24.6% of all foreign tourists.
It was followed by the Balearics, which received 2.4 million foreign tourists – a 2.6% increase – and Andalucia, which attracted more than 1.4 million.
Andalucia saw the biggest increase in international tourists with 5% more coming than last year.
The figures mean Spain is on track to smash last year’s tourism record, which saw the country rake in more than €77 billion from the industry.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16