JEAN-CLAUDE Juncker has slammed Britain’s ‘nonsense’ approach in Brexit talks on EU citizens’ rights.
The European Commission president questioned why the UK government hadn’t agreed to keep existing rights for EU expats living in the UK.
Juncker admitted the two Brussels negotiating teams had ‘made progress’, but that the UK’s stance lacked ‘common sense’.
“Why not say, easily, with common sense – which is not a political category, as we know – that things will stay as they are?” he said.
“The Europeans – ‘foreigners’, as they are saying in London – they are there in the island, and so many British friends are here.”
He added: “Let them here, let them there. Why are we discussing nonsense like that?”
Juncker also demanded Britain paid its Brexit ‘divorce bill’ before the next stage of talks could begin.
“I am not hating the British. The Europeans have to be grateful for so many things Britain has brought to Europe, during war, before war, after war, everywhere and every time, but now they have to pay,” he said.
Last week, the EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier warned of a ‘disturbing deadlock’ in the Brexit talks.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00