EXPERTS have blasted Spain for failing to comply with EU air pollution levels.
It comes as Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) – which can cause serious respiratory problems – was found in excess levels in urban areas across the country.
Madrid and Barcelona, in particularly, have settled into a state of ‘chronic non-compliance,’ claims green group Ecologistas en Accion.
“They have failed to comply year after year with regulations since enforcement began in 2010,” said a spokesman.
He did however praise Madrid for its car bans and its plans to introduce further restrictions, saying ‘it is adopting measures for permanent reductions’ of pollution.
But ‘Barcelona does not have those ambitious goals,’ he said.
The European Commission sent a ‘final warning’ to Spain for ‘constant non-compliance’ in February, with Brussels stating the pollution ‘poses a serious health risk.’
The country is now likely to be heavily fined.
According to the Ministry of Environment, Valencia, Granada and San Sebastián de la Gomera in the Canary Islands are also bad offender, ‘mainly due to traffic.’
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03