THE PSOE in Malaga are pushing to have the city considered for the title of Culture Capital of Europe.
The socialists say the city has ‘learned from its mistakes’ after missing out on the title last year.
The party will propose this month that the provincial capital put itself forward as a candidate for the honour in 2024.
The PSOE say the Picasso Museum began a new era of cultural attraction that has developed with the creation of other museums, including the Russian, Pompidou, Thyssem, and most recently the Malaga Museum.
Malaga council will have until September 10, 2018 to inform the European Commission of its candidacy, and will have to send the bulk of the documentation by October 18 of the same year.
The PSOE said attaining the title is an ‘important challenge’ and has proposed the creation of a working table in which all social and cultural actors and municipal groups can work together to put together the strongest case.
Spokesman for the party Daniel Perez said ‘we are facing a unique opportunity’ to achieve a recognition that will be ‘tremendously beneficial to the city’.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15