SPAIN’S new shirt for the 2018 World Cup in Russia has caused an uproar with fans threatening to boycott buying the ‘Republican’ shirt.
It seems the tense political climate in Spain has now spread to football as Twitter users were quick to point out a striking detail on the new kit presented by the Royal Spanish Football Federation.
The Adidas kit features a yellow and blue stripe running down the left side of the shirt.
Although the lines are blue, from afar they appear to be purple, a hark back to the second Spanish republic, who called for the abolition of the Spanish monarchy throughout the 20th century.
“I won’t buy a shirt that does not represent my country,” one Twitter user wrote.
“Boycott the republican national team. Spain is a monarchy, not a republic,” said another.
The shirt is supposed to be a throwback to the one worn by players for the 1994 World Cup and is part of Adidas’s retro format for next year’s tournament.
Photo courtesy of Marca news.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35