MARBELLA’S conservative government has been blasted for seeking an extra €36 million from the Hacienda for next year’s budget.
The Partido Popular and OSP (San Pedro) coalition will formally request €215 million from the fellow PP government within the next 15 days – much more than the €180 million currently allocated.
In their proposal, they will promise to return to a €180 million budget for 2019.
But opposition parties have blasted the move as a cynical attempt to ensure victory at the local elections towards the end of next year.
Parties including the IU say the increased budget will allow the PP coalition to invest heavily in the city and perform upgrades that will appease voters.
They said it will likely be allowed as the PP are in control on the national level.
Podemos councillor Victoria Mendiola recalled that her party proposed break the spending rule in 2016.
“We were branded radicals by the same PP councilor of Finance that has now taken the same measure,” she said.
The agreement to lower the funds received for 2019 to €180 million will also tie whoever wins next year’s election to a lower budget for the following year.
But if the PP win, they are likely to be granted a higher budget again, opposition parties fear.
The local government approved the initial proposal on Monday.
According to Podemos, the government will use most of the extra funds to privatise municipal services and not to improve them.
“These good managers of the PP and OSP do not manage, but they hire others to do it.
“The services of all become the business of a few,” said a spokesman.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35