PRIME Minister Mariano Rajoy has said 500,000 jobs would be created if the Catalunya region returns to ‘normality’.
He added that the country’s economy would grow a third faster than currently predicted if order is restored after the regional elections next month.
It comes after Madrid lowered its GDP growth forecast for 2018 from 2.6% to 2.3% last month as the Catalan situation reached crisis point.
“If this calms down, the economy could grow five or six tenths more next year,” Rajoy said in an interview on Cope radio yesterday.
Spain has been growing at 3% per year since 2015 and is expected to reach 3.0% again this year.
The impressive figures make it one of the fastest growing economies in the Eurozone.
But since the Catalan independence referendum and the ongoing constitutional crisis, the economic outlook has taken a beating.
Some 2,400 companies have moved their headquarters out of Catalunya, the country’s wealthiest region.
The regional elections will take place on December 21.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23