SPAIN’S attorney general leading the prosecution of the separatist Catalan leaders has died.
Jose Manuel Maza, 66, died in a Buenos Aires hospital, shortly after saying he felt unwell.
His death has been confirmed by justice minister Rafael Catalá and has been attributed to a kidney infection.
The country has now lost its top prosecutor just as Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is working to get Spain’s judiciary to prosecute secessionist leaders for illegally declaring the region’s independence.
Maza began the prosecution of 20 Catalan politicians in October, including the region’s former leader, Carles Puigdemont.
Maza argued that they should stand trial for rebellion and sedition, as well as the misuse of public funds to organise an independence referendum.
If found guilty of rebellion, the separatist leaders could face up to 30 years in prison.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35