A DEVASTATING fire has worked its way through ten warehouses at the polígono of Marratxi.
From noon through the night, over 20 firefighters battled the blaze that burned down five locals and damaged another five.
A printing shop on Calle Licorers caught on fire at midday, which quickly spread and caused multiple minor explosions. Police secured a 500 metre area around the fire, as 300 litres of oil was stored in one of the burning warehouses, and more nearby.
Firefighters from Palma, Manacor, Santa Ponsa, Inca and Felanitx all worked together to stop the slow burning fire.
Owners, employees and neighbours all gathered while flames billowed high in the air. Black clouds of smoke could be seen from miles away.
All the businesses are connected, with walls and roofs touching, allowing the fire to spread with ease.
The five most burned buildings are only left with a few warped support beams left.
— marc (@marCbomber1) November 18, 2017
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42
- Mallorca has a historic number of employees working on the island - 11 Jul, 2018 @ 12:15