FORTY people have been injured, including a number of Britons, after a section of a nightclub floor collapsed in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Emergency service personnel rushed to the Butterfly Disco Club in Adeje at about 2:30 am after four square metres of its floor gave way.
The Canary Island regional government said: “After the floor collapsed, the people who were inside fell to the basement from the height of approximately one floor.”
Firefighters remained at the scene until 6:00 am and took 21 people to the hospital.
Britain’s foreign office said it was in contact with “a number of British nationals” who had been injured in the incident.
The club is in Playa de las Americas, and is a popular gay nightclub in Tenerife.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11