Just 24% of locals polled by Metroscopia said they would want to seek secession after the December 21 elections, while 71% said they would prefer politicians to reach an agreement that includes Catalunya remaining part of Spain.
But an outcome is difficult to predict given the survey’s margin of error at 2.4% and the fact support was evenly split between the two sides.
The telephone poll surveyed 1,800 Catalans between November 20 and November 22.
Losing the majority in the regional parliament would be a heavy blow for Catalan separatists who have billed the election as a vote on Madrid’s decision to impose direct rule in October.
Secessionist parties are forecast to win 46% of the vote, down slightly from 47.7% in a previous election in 2015.
Unionist parties combined would account for another 46% of votes, up from less than 40 percent last time.
Turnout for the election is predicted to reach a record 80%.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16