A HUGE Christmas bauble is coming to the Costa del Sol in a bid to boost Christmas sales figures.
Some 12 metres in diameter, the festive addition will feature in San Pedro de Alcantara on Marques del Duero street.
Containing around 70,000 LED lights, the ornament is designed to ‘compensate for the ugliness of the current works being carried out’, according to mayor Rafael Piña.
The aliminium ball, according to Piña, ‘will be the great attraction of Christmas in San Pedro and we hope it will help encourage shopping, commerce and local businesses.’
The ornament will have an audiovisual show to Miguel Ríos’ Anthem of Joy and Mariah Carey’s All I want for Christmas is you, at 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m respectively.
Two huge Christmas trees have been installed on two roundabouts while around 80 arches and 19 street lamps have been decorated, giving a total of 628,000 LED lights.
Lagasca street will also be closed to traffic on December 16, 22, 23 and 24 and January 3, 4 and 5 ‘to encourage Christmas shopping in the center’, explained Piña.
The Christmas programme will start on Thursday, November 30 at 7:00 pm and will run until January 5.
It will include parades, ‘zambombás’, children’s parties, a free concert on December 22 in García Lorca street and two ‘flashmobs’ on 12 and 13 December in Marqués del Duero street.
The Three Kings will arrive by helicopter and repeat the same tour as last year: Old Fairground, Pablo Ruiz Picasso Avenue, Lagasca Street, Luis Braille Avenue, Pepe Osorio Street, Oriental Avenue and Church Square.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22