A BRITISH funeral planner has been exposed for targeting vulnerable pensioners, using high-pressure and illegal tactics to sell expensive funerals.
Plan My Funeral, majority owend by funeral company Avalon, which has offices in Torrevieja, was found to be in breach of ethics and legal standards by a Mail on Sunday investigation.
Salesmen boasted of goading pensioners with constant and repeated calls if they turned them down, while a manager ordered a worker posing as a salesman to ‘trick’ an elderly customer into handing over personal information – a breach of data protection laws.
An undercover journalist posing as a pensioner was warned his family might end up in debt if he did not buy a funeral plan.
And a salesman admitted misleading a customer into thinking plans cover the entire cost of the funeral.
One British pensioner said: “I was being harassed the whole time as if the only way you were going to get a conclusion from it was by accepting the policy.”
The investigator secretly filmed inside the Cheshire call centre, where 70 sales staff bombard elderly people with calls about pre-paid funeral plans costing more than £4,000 (€4,500).
A computerised dialling system automatically rings tens of thousands of people every week and some people are hounded with repeated calls.
Avalon – best known for TV adverts starring John Cleese as the Grim Reaper – closed down the call centre and has since launched an investigation.
The Information Commissioner’s Office, a data privacy watchdog, also pledged to take ‘robust action’ where they found the law had been broken.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16