THE Algerian government has announced its own investigation into the death of one of its citizens in Malaga’s Archidona prison.
It has asked for the body of Mohamed Bouderbala in order to carry out its own autopsy.
Spanish police claim Bouderbala hung himself in his cell, but his brother Ahmed Bouderbala said he ‘would never kill himself’ and claimed police brutality in the prison is rife and more likely to blame.
It comes after authorities were blasted for turning the newly-built prison into a detention centre for migrants and refugees.
The Algerian government said: “The Prosecutor’s Office has opened an investigation into the death of Mohamed Bouderbala in a detention center in southern Spain and we have asked the Spanish authorities for the body of the deceased so that we can perform an autopsy.”
Bouderbala is one of more than 500 Algerians who were imprisoned in the Archidona prison last November by decision of the Ministry of the Interior.
It is controversial because according to Spanish legislation, these centers can not be ‘of a prison in nature’.
His body was found on December 29 in his prison cell with signs of suicide.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15