PODEMOS in Jerez de la Frontera is pushing to have the zambomba officially recognised by the Royal Spanish Academy.
The tradition dates back to the 1700s and has experienced a comeback in the last few years, even being added to Spain’s cultural heritage list in 2015.
While the rest of Spain may consider a zambomba no more than a rustic musical instrument, in Jerez the word has a much richer meaning.
It sees locals in the Cadiz town bonding around a bonfire on wicker chairs while a selection of liqueur wines, Ibérico cold cuts and Christmas sweets do the rounds.
Carols are sung by flamenco singers while guitar players strum dozens of original songs learned and added to over generations.
Singers’ repertoires include songs about Baby Jesus becoming drunk from the fruit of the strawberry tree and others on love affairs and quarrels.
“The zambomba is participatory by definition. Even the most tame and timid take part in it,” said Miriam Morales, commercial director of the Atalaya Museums.
The decree from the Culture Council which recognised zambomba as an important cultural heritage defines the tradition as an ‘authentic ritual’ which mixes different flamenco palos or styles, from bulerías to rondas and more
“It is a cultural industry that is already being exported elsewhere in Andalucia,” said local Podemos member Manuel Ruiz, who holds a PhD in history and is campaigning for the RAE to broaden its definition of zambomba.
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50