THE PSOE have called for Spain’s traffic boss to be sacked over what they say has been a total mishandling of the snow chaos.
The Socialists today called on Home Secretary Juan Ignacio Zoido to sack Gregorio Serrano, head of traffic body DGT, for the ‘atrocious mismanagment’ of the weekend’s events just north of Madrid.
“To be able to turn up in Congress with a bit of credibility, Zoido should bring the dismissal of the director of traffic with him”, said PSOE spokesman Óscar Puente, who is also the Mayor of Valladolid (Castilla y León).
It comes after thousands of drivers and passengers were left stranded in snow overnight on Saturday, many on a privately managed toll motorway, the AP-6.
Hundreds of soldiers had to be deployed to rescue trapped passengers, some who had been there for more than 13 hours.
“The drivers who were trapped on the AP-6 are not responsible for events”, said Puente, “that’s what the law says and that’s what legal precedent says. The director of the DGT should know that.”
Partido Popular spokesman Fernando Martínez Maíllo apologised to drivers this morning during a programme on state broadcaster TVE, admitting that ‘something went wrong’.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15