A GROUP of young British tourists were behind the tragic death of a three-year-old yesterday, it has been revealed.
The child, a French national, was struck down in San Pedro de Alcantara.
The toddler died after being hit by a vehicle driven by one of four Brits who had just parked up to retrieve a baseball cap that had blown of the window.
Paramedics were called to the scene but were unable to revive the young child, who died at the scene.
The tragedy happened around 2pm on Sunday in the car park at the Casa Rusa Marbella, a commercial centre focused on the Russian-speaking population.
The unnamed driver passed a breath test and was released after giving a statement.
A local investigating magistrate has now taken over an ongoing investigation into the incident and will decide whether to bring any criminal charges at a later date.
The tragic accident occured as the group left the car park near the dual-carriageway linking Marbella and San Pedro.
The dead child’s grandmother is understood to have let the child out of their car seconds before she was run over.
A spokesman for a local emergency services coordinator said: “I can confirm a three-year-old child has died in an accident that occurred on Sunday afternoon in San Pedro de Alcantara near Marbella.
“We were alerted at 2.10pm by a witness.”
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53