SEVILLA football fans will have to pay premium prices to visit Old Trafford in response to the Spanish club’s ‘excessive’ ticket prices.
Manchester United will charge Sevilla fans €100 a ticket to attend the Champions League last-16 tie at Old Trafford on 13 March after Sevilla are charging the same amount for Red Devil fans for the first leg in Spain on February 21.
United say they will use the proceeds to subsidise fans attending the first game at Sevilla’s Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium.
This comes after Liverpool fans who went to the Pizjuán Stadium in November were charged €60 and in an effort to deter future price hikes, United have decided to subsidise their supporters the €40 difference and also increase the price for visiting spectators attending the second leg at Old Trafford.
Head of ticketing and membership at United, Sam Kelleher outlined the clubs stance in a letter.
It said: “In this instance, we believe that our travelling supporters are unfairly being subjected to increased/excessive ticket prices from the host club.
“Ultimately Sevilla have not agreed to significantly lower the price to what we view as a reasonable level.
“Therefore, we have taken the difficult decision to charge Sevilla fans the same amount as our fans have been charged for the away fixture.”
In response, Sevilla said they will ‘be in contact with UEFA’ over the matter.
United pledge any extra revenue will be donated to the club’s charity foundation.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11