CONTRACTS for the extension and refurbishment of one of Malaga’s most popular hospital departments have been put out to tender.
This comes after the A&E department at Carlos Haya hospital is frequently criticised for being understaffed and not providing adequate care.
In fact the A&E department is the fifth worst in Spain for the most complaints and claims (741 in 2017), a new report, by the Defence of the Patient Association, revealed.
One defence lawyer, Francisco Vazquez who works for organisation said the poor result was a minor improvement from 2016 when the hospital was the worst in Spain for patient complaints.
“It needs to solve the problems that keep recurring year after year,” said Vazquez, who highlighted the importance publishing damaging reports.
“We have shown that through these reports there has been an increase in complaints in the last four years,” added Vazquez.
The Andalucian Health Service (SAS) say the works, which were supposed to have been completed two years ago, will now be asking companies to complete the refurbishment as cost effective as possible.
Under the plans, the hospital hopes to carry out the work in three stages to minimise disruption and have put aside €2.5 million for the works.
According to the report the hospitals that ranked above Carlos Haya were the emergency departments of La Paz (Madrid), Virgen del Rocío (Seville), Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona) and Son Espases (Mallorca).
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11