KYLE Edmund will lead Great Britain’s team in their challenging Davis Cup tie against Spain in Marbella.
It comes after the rising star reached the Australian Open semi-finals this week.
Captain Leon Smith confirmed the team today, with Cameron Norrie, Liam Broady, Jamie Murray and Dominic Inglot joining Edmund for the three-day World Group first-round tie, which starts on February 2.
Smith, who watched Edmund beat world No 3 Grigor Dimitrov to reach the semis of a slam for the first time, said: “I’ve not got a fixed mindset [about the second singles spot].
“Liam and Cam have played nothing on clay; that’s the bottom line. So you don’t know how they’re going to react to it.
“Whoever goes out to play as a No 2 against what will be a really high-level opponent, it’s about them giving everything they’ve got, learning from it and hopefully leaving a better tennis player.”
Edmund is now the team’s pivotal player, in the absence of Andy Murray, who is recovering from hip surgery.
Rafael Nadal has already made himself unavailable, but Smith said: “It’s the toughest draw. They are the most difficult team – whoever they pick.”
Great Britain last played Spain in 1986, winning 4-1 in Telford.
The winners face Australia or Germany in the quarter-finals from 6-8 April.
The losers drop into the World Group play-offs from 14-16 September.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16