Well, gentle reader, I finally reached the landmark birthday.
My big Five Zero, which had been lurking darkly on the horizon and was as welcome as a tropical storm at a garden party – it came and went.
Believe it or not, I enjoyed myself immensely. Granted, I have refused to act my age for a very long time and seem to have dodged the middle-aged bullet that normally involves golf and talking about schools at dinner parties.
Perhaps a more conventional 50-year-old would have celebrated the event with a discreet gathering.
So naturally I did the opposite and threw a loud and lively bash with the theme of ‘Rock Gods, Biker Chicks, Soul Sisters and Divas’ at an old friend’s restaurant in Puerto Banus. As a disclaimer I just want to add that he’s known me for over 30 years, so knew damn well what he was letting himself in for!
One of my best friends, who I refer to as ‘Hobson’, flew out especially for the event and we made his beachfront Marbella house, ‘Base Camp’ for the weekend’s festivities. And we didn’t put a foot wrong – managing to cram in chiringuito lunches, dinners and even a quick caña in the Old Town over a 48-hour period.
The party itself was a riot, with some fabulous outfits on display – none more so than from Hobson himself who was splendidly dressed in a look he described as ‘Hendrix – the Vegas years’.
Hobson is renowned for never missing an opportunity for giving a speech, and this was no exception. Having been at my 40th during what I refer to as my, ahem, ‘interesting’ period, he made a rather brilliant observation about my radio career.
“In those dark days, when Giles would end up sitting in a room talking to himself in the early hours of the morning, would he have ever thought that he would carve a successful career out of…..you guessed it, sitting in a room talking to himself in the early hours of the morning!”
With close family and friends – including a number of surprise visitors from the UK – and rock legend Russ on DJ duties – my 50th was everything I had hoped it would be.
So here’s to the next 50. You have all been duly warned!
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01
- When it rains… - 28 Oct, 2018 @ 12:24
- Watch out, there’s a new 80s revival in town, but don’t except big hair and shoulder pads - 30 Sep, 2018 @ 12:10
- We’ve survived another mad Marbella summer - 15 Sep, 2018 @ 12:00
- TRIBUTE: Remembering Costa del Sol legendary singer Mel Williams - 2 Sep, 2018 @ 16:00
- AUGUST ANGST: Summer in southern Spain presents some interesting challenges - 4 Aug, 2018 @ 13:23
- TOUR DE FARCE: Last Monday was my final straw with the cyclists - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 11:10
- Football Crazy! - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 16:00
- Oh, Ambassador… you are spoiling us! - 10 Jun, 2018 @ 13:00