A BRITISH woman has died after a three-car pile up in Spain.
The 77-year-old was killed after the car she was travelling in, driven by her husband, was hit head-on by another vehicle believed to have crossed over to the wrong side of the road.
The British couple, from Avon in the west of England, were holidaying in Tenerife when the tragic accident took place.
Her husband was said to be in a ‘serious condition’ when he was taken to hospital.
His condition is not currently known.
Two other people in the same car as her – also thought to be British – were taken to hospital after the pile-up.
The tragedy happened near the village of Piedra Hincada on the west of the island.
The woman who died, who has so far been identified only by her initials P.M.M, was travelling in the passenger seat of a Renault CLIO that was hit by a Ford Fiesta driven by a man who lives on the island.
The incident happened just after 11am yesterday on the TF-46 road.
A local emergency services coordinator said: “We were alerted just after 11am yesterday about a road traffic accident involving three vehicles on the TF-46 near Piedra Hincada in the municipality of Guia de Isora.
“One of the vehicles caught fire after the collision.
“Emergency response teams were activated immediately.
“Firemen found the fire had already been put out by the time they arrived and proceeded to free four of the casualties trapped inside two of the vehicles.
“The dead woman was found to be suffering cardiac arrest and efforts to save her failed.”
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15