SPAIN has called for joint management of Gibraltar airport in the ongoing Brexit negotiations.
Foreign minister Alfonso Dastsis also said his country wants greater cooperation on tax and tobacco smuggling.
The new claims threaten to spark more uproar among Tory backbenchers in the UK who are furious that the British government has not stood up enough to Spain over the Rock.
Dastis wants an agreement by next month’s crucial EU summit where Britain hopes to secure a Brexit transition deal.
It comes after Brussels gave Spain a formal veto over the provisions of any EU-UK Brexit deal that applies to Gibraltar.
Speaking to the Financial Times, Dastis said he wanted a deal that was as close as possible to the status quo with Britain.
But on Gibraltar he said Spain wants a deal that will see them ‘manage the airport together’.
He insisted Spain ‘has a claim’ to the land, claiming it was illegally occupied by the UK.
He added: “We need some more co-operation with the Gibraltar or the UK tax authorities but the situation has already improved.
“The Gibraltarians seem willing to co-operate, we need to see that in practice.”
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15