A GREEN group is calling for the protection of a historic mining village, in Castilla La Mancha.
Ecologistas en Acción Valle de Alcudia has put forward a document to the Junta of Castilla La Mancha, in a bid to declare the settlement of Las Tiñosas a cultural heritage site (BIC).
It comes after tensions arose between owners of the land and descendants of miners from the village.
At the end of January the plot owners began to demolish empty buildings, including an old school and houses which belonged to former miners and engineers.
However, it is still unclear as to who can legally claim ownership over this land.
According to the green group, the town’s folk were not warned prior to the construction work, nor were the electricity companies that still provide power and cables in the buildings.
The ecology group believe the owners had not sought legal permission before demolishing the buildings and reported the activity to the Guardia Civil, who has now stopped the work.
The Junta’s decision is yet to be announced.
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01