The Romanian referee – who was appointed to officiate by Rugby Europe – had to be escorted from the pitch yesterday Spain’s shock 18-10 defeat to Belgium resulted in Romania qualifying.
Spain would have been guaranteed a spot in Japan if they had won, but their loss instead sent them into a repechage play-off, with Romania qualifying instead.
After the final whistle in Brussels, Spanish players angrily confronted Vlad Iordachescu, apparently over a perceived bias.
Spain captain Jaime Nava said his side had been ‘eliminated by external factors’, adding that ‘today rugby has lost.’
The controversial appointment follows that of Marius van der Westhuizen, who was removed from assistant refereeing duty at Twickenham at the weekend because he had attended an England training session.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16