ITS existence had reached mythical status for the parking attendants at the Plaza Bisbe Berenguer Palou in Palma.
Now finally a vehicle which had been left in the car park for almost ten years has been towed by the authorities.
During this period the Volvo in question clocked up €28,000 worth of parking fines.
The vehicle was left in a space next to the barrier back in March 2009 by a woman known as ‘Inmaculada M.’
She never returned.
Back in 2013 a judge ruled that ‘Inmaculada M.’ would have to pay the fine and collect the vehicle as soon as possible but they were unable to track her down.
Months then turned to years with still no response from the mystery motorist.
A further legal decision in 2017 awarded the Volvo to the parking lot owners, although its diminished value did not even cover a fraction of the giant parking fine.
The owners decided to wait until this week to see if ‘Inmaculada M’ would finally materialise but eventually gave up and had the car towed.
It is not the first time that a car has overstayed its welcome in the parking lot.
While handling the case involving the Volvo they revealed that four other vehicles had also been abandoned in the lot for months on end.
In one such incident a car had been left by a recently divorced couple who both believed the vehicle belonged to the other.
In another instance a motorist parked his car to go to a nearby hospital where he then died.
However, unlike the Volvo, in all four incidents the car park owners were able to receive some money towards the fine.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33