FOUR Brits have been arrested for handing out fake bank notes at businesses in Magaluf.
Alarm bells went off when locals realised the criminals were paying with false €20 and €50 notes in bars and restaurants.
Although the notes looked identical to real ones, the texture of them was not perfect which made vendors suspicious.
La Guardia Civil and La Policia Nacional detained the suspects on Monday night in Torrenova.
After spending the night in a cell on Monday, the next morning the expats were taken by La Guardia Civil to the apartments where they were registered in Terranova.
In their bedrooms, officers found €5,000 in cash – €2,000 of which were false notes.
It is still being confirmed if the remaining sum is real money.
The Brits have reportedly been ‘living their lives to the full’ in Mallorca for some time now and regularly hang out in Magaluf’s famous tourist areas.
Investigators are trying to find out if the gang is merely a group of friends financing their stay on the island, or if they are part of a wider organisation.
- Spanish chef Dani Garcia to close Marbella restaurant after receiving third Michelin Star last month - 18 Dec, 2018 @ 13:41
- Miss Universe pays emotional tribute to its first ever transgender contestant from Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Downing street slams claims no-deal Brexit could shatter Brits’ holiday plans - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:11
- FOUND: Costa del Sol British expat missing for nearly two weeks found safe in UK - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:08
- Madrid bans old cars from city centre in CRACKDOWN on pollution - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Banksy gets ‘Banksied’ as gallery in Spain exhibits art without his permission - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- Spanish city to banish 5,000 pigeons for ‘driving away’ tourists - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Brits to pay €7 to travel to EU countries after Brexit - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 17:58
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00