MORE than two dozen multinational and medium-sized companies have signed a declaration calling for Spain to transition to green energy.
Eleven out of the 30 companies are listed on Spain’s Ibex35 stock exchange – Abertis, Acciona, Bankia, BBVA, Endesa, Ferrovial, Iberdrola, Mapfre, Red Eléctrica de España, Siemens Gamesa and Telefónica.
IKEA, hotel chain NH and Eulen have also signed the manifesto, which urges the country’s ‘public powers’ to reach an agreement on the ‘approval of a climate change law and a stable, ambitious and efficient transition to green energy.’
It comes three years after Mariano Rajoy vowed to deliver a new climate change law in the 2015 Paris Climate Change Agreement.
The Spanish congress should be debating the law, but it has been delayed by a months-long commission which has failed to reach a consensus.
The climate change law has been met with obstacles, with energy minister Alvaro Nadal arguing Spain should wait until the EU develops its legislative package on the fight against climate change before making its own.
Environment minister Isabel García Tejerina has said a draft of the law would be ready soon.
Electricity and transport sectors contribute 80% of all greenhouse gases produced by Spain, meaning they would be most affected by climate change laws.
The manifesto reads: “Most surrounding countries are already evolving toward a low-carbon economy, triggering a global revolution that is going to create enormous opportunities,” the manifesto argues.
“Spain is well positioned to take advantage of these but effective policies are needed now.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16