AIRBNB has awarded an American man a whopping $7,100 (€5,760) for a trip to Spain after he mispronounced ‘flamenco’ on TV show Wheel of Fortune on Monday.
The contestant, Jonny Knowles, broke the internet after a major blunder on the popular game show, when he correctly guessed the final letters of a puzzle which read “Flamenco Dance Lessons”.
But Knowles said ‘flamingo’ rather than ‘flamenco’.
The North Carolina native was astonished as quiz master, Pat Sajak, buzzed him saying it was the wrong answer. You can watch the moment here:
Knowles was left devastated after his slip of the tongue cost him a prize of over €5K and a holiday to Spain.
“I just screwed up that’s all there is.
“I feel like it was very subtle and I’m kind of surprised I didn’t get it, but I didn’t get it. I screwed up that’s all there is to it,” Knowles told ABC News.
But Airbnb took pity on the married father of one and stepped in to offer money towards a trip to Spain and ‘flamingo’ dance lessons.
— Airbnb (@Airbnb) April 10, 2018
The holiday rental site tweeted: “Jonny if you’re out there, we’d love to send you on a trip to Spain for some “flamingo” lessons! #FlamencoNotFlamingo”.
“After filming, it took some time to process what just happened,” he told ABC News.
“One month later, after an incredibly crazy day, I found out I’m getting a chance to go on the trip thanks to Airbnb, and I couldn’t be any more excited to flamenco dance the night away in Spain!”
Despite the slip up, Knowles still bagged a staggering $19,000 (€15,400) during his efforts on the show and plans to pay off his student loans with the win.
- Spanish chef Dani Garcia to close Marbella restaurant after receiving third Michelin Star last month - 18 Dec, 2018 @ 13:41
- Miss Universe pays emotional tribute to its first ever transgender contestant from Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Downing street slams claims no-deal Brexit could shatter Brits’ holiday plans - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:11
- FOUND: Costa del Sol British expat missing for nearly two weeks found safe in UK - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:08
- Madrid bans old cars from city centre in CRACKDOWN on pollution - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Banksy gets ‘Banksied’ as gallery in Spain exhibits art without his permission - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- Spanish city to banish 5,000 pigeons for ‘driving away’ tourists - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Brits to pay €7 to travel to EU countries after Brexit - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 17:58
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00