AN isolated case of the disease ebola has been detected in olive trees in Almeria.
A strain of the deadly bacteria, Xylella fastidiosa, was found in three decorative plants in a garden centre in El Ejido, reported europa press.
But there is no need to worry, as the Ministry of Agriculture, Fish and Rural Development has stated this is merely an isolated incident.
The olive trees are thought to have been infected by the same insect carrying the virus.
Officials revealed the virus was detected in a routine control test carried out by the Ministry.
As the trees were in a greenhouse and no insect carrying the bacteria was found, it is believed this is a one-off.
This is reportedly the first positive presence of the bacteria in Andalucia.
However, out of 400 plants tested, no other was found to be carrying ebola.
In 2017, a severe outbreak of olive ebola swept across the Balearic Islands after the virus was spread from Italy.
Farmers were forced to cut down countless trees as it is thought to be one of the most dangerous plant bacterias in the world.
As the world’s biggest producer of olive oil, the bacteria posed a huge threat to agriculture in Spain.
- Spain to banish 5000 pigeons from Cadiz for menacing tourists - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Brits to pay €7 to travel to EU countries after Brexit - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 17:58
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain SLAMMED by US official for making ‘no effort’ to return Nazi-looted art from WW2 - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- British government accused of not protecting expats and EU citizens’ rights as no-deal Brexit ‘still a possibility’ - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 14:07
- Desperate wife of British expat who mysteriously vanished from Costa del Sol FOUR days ago reveals more details as search continues - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 12:41
- Taxi driver who raped British tourist on Costa del Sol sentenced to seven years in prison - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 11:38
- MISSING: Fears for British expat who disappeared from Spain’s Costa del Sol two days ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 12:32
- BREAKING: Body found in search for missing British expat in Spain - 4 Dec, 2018 @ 14:35