MORE than 1,000 pigs have drowned in Spain after being locked in their pens during a flood.
Miles de animales atrapados con el agua al cuello luchan por sobrevivir.
Gracias a vuestra presión en redes sociales, la Guardia Civil ha anunciado
que abrirá una investigación. Este desastre no puede volver a suceder.
¡Sus vidas también importan! pic.twitter.com/vvVFg7iN8H
— PACMA (@PartidoPACMA) April 17, 2018
Shocking footage shared by animal rights group PACMA shows animals up their necks in water as they tried to stay afloat on a farm in Aragon.
The area had become flooded after River Ebro burst its banks.
Owners of the farm in Villafranca de Ebro had been warned there was a high chance of floods, but refused to evacuate their animals.
More than 45,000 animals from 42 other farms in the region had been evacuated after being warned.
Guardia Civil tried to save the pigs but the water was too high.
PACMA has filed complaints against the farm owners.
It said: “If they had started evacuating the pigs on time, they would have saved them.”
“We have filed a legal complaint for possible animal abuse, against the owners and/or those responsible for the animals that were abandoned and drowned at the Remolinos and Villafranca de Ebro farms, both in Zaragoza.
“They are the same farms that left their animals to die during the floods in 2015.”
“But they are not the only ones responsible. In November we presented to the Aragon Council our Animal Catastrophe Evacuation Plan.
“If they had listened to us none of this would have happened.
“In addition, on Friday we warned the Government of Aragon that there was a forecast of floods, and that it was essential that a protocol be activated to evict the animals and guarantee their safeguarding.”
The investigation continues.
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15