A BRITISH paedophile who absconded to Spain has been spared jail by a judge in the UK after ‘turning his life around’.
lan Grundy, 59, was handed a 14-month suspended prison sentence when he appeared at Bradford Crown Court this week.
Grundy had been sent back to the UK earlier this year after a European arrest warrant was issued for him to face charges dating back to 2015.
He pleaded guilty to three charges of making indecent photographs and movies, and one charge of failing to notify police of a change of address.
According to the Telegraph & Argus, Prosecutor Paul Nicholson told the court that a computer tower was seized from an address in Bradford where Grundy had been living on June 26, 2015.
Police found 87 indecent images and two indecent videos, four of which were of the highest category of seriousness.
He was arrested and gave no comment, but when police returned to the address a few weeks later, his mother answered.
Nicholson said: “She said he had not lived at the address since he had been arrested.
“It turned out that he had taken himself abroad and gone to Spain.”
Grundy’s lawyer Tom Rushbrooke said he had been at a particularly low point at the time of the first offences, having problems with alcohol.
He added: “While he was in Spain he had no access to computers at all.”
Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC warned Grundy there was a victim behind every one of the images he made, which he described as ‘disgraceful material’.
He added: “The running away to Spain, on the one hand was reprehensible, but on the other hand, it seems you have used that time to resolve many issues.”
Grundy was also ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work and complete the sexual offenders programme he missed out on previously.
He was also made subject to a sexual offences prevention order and a notification order, both for seven years.
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50